At 12:30 pm yesterday, my mom called and said they were on the way to the hospital. There was another donor, and a surgery time was set for 4:30. It is two hours later there than here, so that was only 2 hours away! Apparently all of the matching stuff was completed (maybe they saved the blood they had drawn and xrays from last week--I don't know.) Anyway--all they had to do was a final check to ensure that they heart was in good condition.
The donor was a 36 year old car accident victim. It makes me want to throw up to think about. Just a little older than me. . . probably married. . . probably small kids. I can't think about it.
So, my mother was very calm. She had good friends and family with her. She stayed calm until the doctor called several times for them to move G. to the operating room, and the people in the room were continuing to mess with his monitor. She finally yelled at them that there was no need for a monitor. Since he had an LVAD, they couldn't shock him if his heart stopped anyway, so LET'S GO. (I called right about that time and she sounded like a soldier!)
They started the surgery at about 6:45. At 11, I talked to my mother and G. was off of the bypass machine. They still had some repair work to do from the LVAD and they would stay in the operating room for a while to continue to check all the systems, but the heart was pumping on its own! (I still keep saying "the heart"--at what point is it "his heart"? I don't know. . .strange thoughts. . .)
A while later, I'm not sure when because I think I fell asleep, J. called and told me it was over and he was in recovery. (She arrived at the airport at 11:30 and had made it to the hospital by then) She said he was fine, still sedated and they would call today.
So, after all the craziness and mad dashes for the airport, it's over. Now what? I don't know. It's weird. He's been a heart patient for so long (I guess he still will be, but in a totally different way) I'm not sure that they will know how to act! We shall see I guess.
Please continue to pray for the donor's family. I don't know if we will get further information on him/her or not. I would like to, just because that part seems to be very difficult for me, but I believe it is up to them if they want to know G. or not. (They may not be allowed to at all, I don't know what the rules are.)
Thanks for your prayers and support. I am not sure when I am going there, or which kids I will take with me. I'll let you know!
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I will definetly be praying for Gand your family and you. Plese also keep us in your prayers with the death of Joe's best Friend in Iraq.
It sounds like you have a lot of people praying for you and your family. With all the support in your family, G will surely fully recover from this. What an amazing thing modern medicine is. 30 years ago his life would have ended and now he has a new lease on life...amazing. Best wishes to your mother, too.
Tell J we are thinking of her! We'll pray for her and G and this new phase in their lives. It is such an exciting thought for him to be able to live without all those heart symptoms. Thank God for a donor altruistic enough to realize someone else could benefit from his family's grief.
We love you all!
I'm so glad to hear everything went well. We will continue to pray for his speedy recovery.
It is 10pm on Oct. 19 and J. and Mom J. are reading all of this wonderful informaion. We are so greatful for everyone and their prayers. We have been at the hospital all day and we will be back in the morning. G. is doing great and his spirit is lifting every day. The new heart is working great! We are very thankful!!
Post a Comment