I recently read two things that caused me to consider carefully my attitude. I am, in general, very aware of how great my life is. Particularly right now. Everyone in my family (that even includes all 4 of my grandparents) are healthy. My children are wonderful. My husband is not only wonderful, he is in a non-deployable job, so I get to enjoy his wonderfulness, and not just read about it in emails!, we live in an outstanding house that we SO LUCKED OUT in getting and that house is in a beautiful place. . .We're getting a great tax return that should wipe out our financial struggles from moving back from Europe, we have everything we need, and most everything we want. Anyway--I am pretty aware of how lucky I am. But, I read these two things, and it made it more on the forefront of my mind. One is a cute, made up story. One is a sad, real life story. Both are cause to stop, think, and give thanks to God.
Cute, made up:
A woman woke up one morning and found that she had only 3 hairs on her head. She said "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did, and she had a wonderful day.
The next morning, she woke up with only 2 hairs on her head. She said "I think I'll wear my hair parted in the middle today." So she did, and she had a great day.
The next day, she woke up with only one hair. She said "I think I'll put my hair in a ponytail today." So she did, and she had a fabulous day.
The next day, she woke up with no hair at all. She said "I don't have to fix my hair today!!"
It's all about attitude. . .
Sad, real life:
I read this on my friend's blog. I don't know the people, so I am changing their names. Sally and Dave. Dave is in the military. They have a small child. Dave is a typical military guy--healthy, strong, active. One morning, he is playing with his child on the bed before he goes to work. He has a stroke. No warning signs, no family history, nothing. He is moved to Walter Reed to recover. Sally finds out that she is finally pregnant after trying for more than a year. She moves the family to be with Dave.
Good news. . .after months of therapy, Dave recovers almost completely. He can return to active duty. Bad news. . .they find out that they are pregnant with a baby boy with a chromosome defect (I believe it is called trisomy 18). The baby will only live a day or two after his birth.
He is due in February. I just can't imagine. The horror of knowing you must plan for your son's birth and his death at the same time. The anger at the fact that as long as he is in her belly, he is still alive--but there is nothing she can do to keep him there. The fear of completely losing your physical strength, your spiritual faith, and your rational mind all at one time. I honestly cannot imagine the pain they must feel. I can't fathom anything that would make it better. All I can think to do is to everyday say a prayer of thanks for my blessings and a prayer of peace for that family.
Sunday, January 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That's so sad. My heart goes out to her. My neighbor is pregnant with twins...but they share the same heart. She couldn't bring herself to abort, and the drs told her she'd probably miscarry anyway. Now she's 20 weeks along and they have to schedule a cesarean soon since the babies aren't developing normally. They will only live for a short time. I can't imagine....
Check out this blog below.
http://www.clairecox.blogspot.com/
this is the most amazing story of a little girl and her wonderful family. I do not personally know them but I can only hope and pray that if and when my challenges come that I can face them as wonderful as they did. God is amazing.
This blog put my whole life in perspective. Cherish each day with your loved ones.
You know it kinda sheds light on things. Even when things are going wrong in your life to be thankful for what you do have.My heart goes out to the family. Thanks Angie for sharing.
Post a Comment