Monday, November 13, 2006

It's Getting Heavy

Ok...I have a lot of catching up to do. I will do that soon. Maybe tomorrow. Today I am just sad. S.'s friend died exactly 2 years ago today. He was the 4th person that we were close to that died there. On Halloween of this year, S's ranger buddy from the basic course, MAJ Doug Sloan, died in Afghanistan. He was on R&R only 2 weeks earlier when he met his little girl, his 4th child, for the first and last time. It is making me so tired.
I used to feel very bad for the women during Vietnam or WWII who's husbands were drafted, because they were left in their regular hometowns, and didn't have a network of other army wives to support them. Now I am thinking maybe it was easier. At least they only worried about the one guy. Now, not only do we worry about our own husbands, but those of the women who have become closer than sisters.
And what about those women who lose their husbands? Not only do they have to carry that horrible sadness with them for the rest of their lives, but they are still worrying about the husbands of their friends too! Each time they hear of another death it must just rip that wound open again.
My friend L, said that when her daughter was sick with leukemia it got very hard for her watching so many kids die. She made friends with the other children at the hospital, and with their parents. Then, many of them died. She said that at one point she just decided not to make friends with anyone anymore.
That's kind of how I felt when we heard about Doug. Maybe it would just be easier not to have any friends. S. wears a bracelet with the name of his friend from Germany on it. How many bracelets can someone wear before their arm gets too heavy to lift?

No comments: