Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Strength, Stability, and Flexability

So. . .I have been thinking over my workout plan a lot lately. I have been trying to increase my running, but I decided the other day--what for? I hate running. I don't think it is fun. I don't get a runner's high, and I don't feel proud that I can do something other people can't. The only thing I get out of it is weight loss. I can run 4 miles and lose about 1/2 a pound a day. So, that is enough to keep me doing it. I thought about working my way up to some races (they have great ones year round here) but I just don't want to.

Two things that I saw recently have redirected my plan. First, I saw a photo of a woman, about my age (a year old, actually) standing on one foot, with her other leg extended straight up in the air (shin next to ear) holding that foot with her hands above her head. Second, I saw a woman at my gym who is 67 years old who, I swear, is a human pretzel. She could bend her body into some crazy contortions, just to try to stretch! That's how flexible she is. So. . .here's my thoughts. In the long run, I will not be able to run forever. It just isn't a smart choice, when you consider the impact on your knees and the rest of your body. What I DO need to have forever is strength, stability, and flexability. (I think I have spelled that wrong, but it is late and I am too tired to figure it out.) Anyway--my trainer and I have been working on the stability. Some of the simplest exercises are very difficult for me. I am pretty clumsy anyway, so the fact that I have not done a lot of work on that area doesn't help. Eventually, as I grow older, and my bones are not as strong, I will need my muscles and joints to be in good condition to keep my body safe and healthy. As for the flexability, I think that will help with those "aches and pains" of age that are the result of lack of muscle use. Also, I just thought that picture of that lady's foot over her head was really cool.
So. . .I will keep up the running, just for the weight loss. Not try to push for more constantly. I will continue weight training, because I like being able to wear tank tops and not be embarrassed of my arms, but now I will add in pilates and yoga to work toward the new goal. I am not sure that the goal will be to hold my foot above my head, but I'd like to be able to extend one leg straight out at a 90 degree angle to the floor and hold it there for 10 seconds (try it--it's much harder than it sounds!)

3 comments:

E said...

I love yoga! It can be a challenge, but you feel so good afterward that who cares? My teacher would always remind us that our balance is affected by many things, including hormones. On those days when you just can't stand on one foot, blame it on hormones!

Anonymous said...

OMG they are selling WW cakes here...
Now if they would only have something in the evening at the post gym for us people that work during the day.

Anonymous said...

I, as you probably know, am thrilled to know you are adding some other elements to your workout. Remember, it all has to be functional (You don't really need to run more than a short distance unless something scary is chasing you.), and what could be more functional than stability when you are 90. Tell your trainer I said she rocks!