So, I have worked out my lists of what to have in the emergency box, what to get out of the house if we have to leave, and what to do in and to the house before we go. Keep in mind that the emergency box is not only for evacuation. It is also for if there is an emergency and you are in your house without power or water or whatever.
Now, you may read this and think--"Come on. That's a little extreme." Or, "Oh please. She is going way overboard." And here is what I have to say to you "HEY!! Who was just evacuated, me or you? Don't give me any crap Mister! (or Missy!) I know what I took, what I needed when I got there, and what I forgot. . .so THERE!"
Don't argue with me, man. You don't have to put all this stuff in your box. You can just put some saltines and a sleeping bag if you want to--but guess what--if the time comes to evacuate, you're gonna HOPE you're staying in the same shelter as me!
Seriously though, you might have to add to yours. Pet stuff, prescription meds, contact solution, etc. Imagine if you were going on a vacation, and pack like that. Then add everything you would take if the vacation was to an uninhabited island (no power or water) and that you wouldn't be coming back (don't forget Grandma's pearls!!)
You'll notice that this list is in a wacky order. Again I say "Back off picky! I just got freakin' evacuated! Give me a break!" Just kidding! Really it is because I wrote out my inventory as I put things in the box (to be sure I actually HAD them and wasn't just planning them and then they get stolen by the hurricane boy before I got them into the box!)
Here we go:
Emergency kit:
make a list of everything that you put in the box and keep it either on top or on the outside of the box. That way, you don't freak out and start digging through it "just to be sure" you have whatever. Also, list the experation dates of the meds, and check it yearly to replace.
Paper plates and bowls (preferably microwaveable)
paper towels
handi wipe reusable dish cloths
Plastic forks, knives, spoons
foil pans (cookie sheet and 9x13 baking pan)
3 large lawn and leaf trash bags
ziploc bags (gallon, quart, and snack)
twist ties
5-10 plastic grocery bags
mesh laundry bag
rubber bands
masks (air filter kind) preferably with elastic--the tie ones make kids crazy
goggles (swim ones work well for kids, since they don't cover their noses)
baby wipes
kleenex
toilet paper
antibacterial wipes
hand sanitizer
sewing kits (w/ non waxed dental floss--it is stronger than thread)
insect repellant w/sunscreen
chem lights
swiss army knife
cigarette lighter (just in case the emergency is so bad you decide to take up smoking! ha ha!)
feminine hygeine supplies
super glue
manual can opener
first years disposable sippy cups (you can use the cups without lids for grown ups)
crayons/notepads/coloring books
beach balls (they're smaller and quieter than soccer balls!)
list of emergency phone numbers (family/friends in area and out of area)
list of information phone numbers, TV stations, radio stations for local area
hand crank radio (so you don't need batteries)
crank or shake flashlights
2 way radios
batteries for 2 way radios
ponchos
poncho liners, sleeping bags, or blankets
local/state maps
inflatable sleep mattresses
pump
camping pillows
personal hygiene stuff: cleanser towelettes (they have soap in them and you just get them wet); baby wash towlettes; shampoo/conditioner; toothbrushes; toothpaste; ponytail holders/hair clips; shaving cream/razors; lotion; deodorant; brush/comb; tweezers; nail clippers
medical kit: kid and adult versions of everything: ibuprofen; acetominophen; benadryl; sudafed; neosporin; eye drops; saline nasal drops; pepto (chewable tablets can be for kids and adults); immodium
digital photos of all electronics, paintings, furniture and other "high dollar items"
list of serial numbers/make/model of electronics
Things to get out of the house:
copy computer hard drive to external hard drive and take it (or laptop)
proof of address (insurance card, mail you've recieved, etc.) you might need it to get back into area
blankie/stuffed animal for each kid
documents--birth certificates, passports, powers of attorney, wills, etc.
year end summary of investments
medical records/shot records
scrapbooks
baby books
wedding album
photo boxes
kids memory boxes
address/phone book
digital camera
stroller
3 sets of clothes for each person--plus a set for the opposite weather
jacket
closed toe shoes and socks
jewelry
uniform
cell phones and chargers
portable dvd player + dvds
food: granola bars, dry cereal, peanut butter, bread, crackers, canned soup, honey, milk (if you can take a cooler) water
diapers
tool kit
toys for inside (puzzles; legos; cars; whatever the girl versions of these are. . .)
Things to do before you leave the house:
close all windows and turn off lights
unplug anything you can
try to find out if the utility companies want you to turn off water or gas before you do it
take digital photos of things you are leaving--including wide shots of each room
put a towel on the floor inside each door
turn on sprinklers (I guess this is just for wildfires, but you understand that I must include it, right?)
So, I'm sure you now think that I am a completely paranoid freak or that I totally have PTSD--but, if the day comes. . .you'll wish you had at least copied down the lists, even if you didn't actually get the box together!!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
how did all that fit into a box that would go in your car along with all your family?
The photos have their own action packer. Each of the kids memory boxes are a small rubbermaid container. All the "emergency stuff" goes in one footlocker, except the tent, mattresses and the blankets--they fill one on their own. The food goes in its own box, since it gets thrown together at the last minute. The only time you have to take it out of the house is in case of evacuation--otherwise, you only need access to the one box. We took both cars when we left. S's was full of boxes, and the back of my van was full as well. So was the front seat of both cars and the one empty seat in mine. It took about 30 -45 minutes to load the cars, since we had everything together. Basically, the emergency box needs to be together, and then have a list of the rest of the stuff--what it is and where it is in your house. Then it is easy to run around and grab it all when you are too freaked out to think!
Post a Comment